Tag Archives: political conflict

4,000 Filipinos in Libya in danger

THE Philippine government on Saturday reiterated the call to 4,000 remaining overseas Filipino workers (OFW) in conflict-stricken Libya to avail of the mandatory repatriation program and return home as soon as possible.
Deputy Presidential Spokesperson Abigail Valte said the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) has been repeatedly making the call for immediate evacuation since it raised Crisis Alert Level 4 in Libya in July last year.

Phl senator: Sacred cows included

AFTER five hearings and five executive sessions, Philippine Senator Grace Poe on Monday said her committee will release on Tuesday its own investigation into the infamous January 25 Mamasapano Massacre that left 44 police commandos dead.
Poe stressed that even “sacred cows” could be included once majority of the lawmakers sign the document, the findings of which are almost similar to the Philippine National Police Board of Inquiry (PNP BOI) Report.
In Malacanang Palace, meanwhile, an official said the Philippine government and the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) remain committed to the peace process and will continue to work to strengthen mutual trust.
“What we know is that both sides continue to work on confidence-building measures and on seeing to it that an acceptable Bangsamoro Basic Law (BBL) may be enacted by Congress within the time frame set by the leadership of both houses,” Communication Secretary Herminio Coloma, Jr. said on Monday.

Phl senator warns of political conflict

PHILIPPINE Senator Alan Peter Cayetano on Wednesday warned of more political conflict in Mindanao through the passage of the Bangsamoro Basic Law as this would force the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) to “consolidate power” and go after other groups that are not party to the final peace agreement.
In a privilege speech, Cayetano also warned of an ongoing arms build-up in Mindanao, with many groups building their armories after the Mamasapano carnage that left 44 members of the Philippine National Police-Special Action Force (PNP-SAF) dead, including Jemaah Islamiyah terrorist Zulkifli bin Hir, alias Marwan, last January 25.
“This is the reason why other armed groups are now buying guns,” he said.
Cayetano said he has talked to several mayors who claimed the MILF is reopening camps, stacking up guns and recruiting more fighters to its cause.

Phl delays result of massacre probe

THE government on Tuesday said the Philippine National Police’s Board of Inquiry (PNP-BOI) chief did not mention the need to get President Benigno Aquino’s statement regarding the Mamasapano incident.
The government issued this statement a few hours after Sen. JV Ejercito dared President Aquino to apologize to the Filipino people instead of blaming ex-Special Action Force (SAF) chief Getulio Napeñas for the bloody massacre.
Communication Secretary Herminio Coloma, Jr. noted that according to PNP Spokesman Chief Supt. Generoso Cerbo, Jr., PNP-BOI head Director Benjamin Magalong only spoke about the board’s request for postponement of the submission of their report, during Monday’s press conference and never mentioned the need to get President Aquino’s statement on the January 25 mission that resulted in the death of 44 police commandos.

Farmers charge Phl president with plunder

THE Philippine government on Tuesday asked prosecutors to elaborate on the plunder charges reportedly filed by a group of farmers against President Benigno Aquino III for his alleged misuse of Malampaya fund.
“We have to see the basis of prosecutors,” Coloma said. “We don’t know any detail and particulars aside from the case was filed. We have very limited basis,” Communications Secretary Herminio Coloma Jr. told reporters.
The militant Kilusang Magbubukid ng Pillipinas (Farmers’ Movement in the Philippines) alleged that that the President directed the funds to projects not related to energy.

163 landmines seized in Philippines

WHILE the Philippine government is resolute in pursuing peace with the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF), rebels belonging to communist New People’s Army (NPA) continue sowing violence in the countryside.

The Eastern Mindanao Command announced Friday the recovery of 163 pieces of landmines during operations in Loreto town, Agusan del Sur in Southern Philippines last Wednesday.

Capt. Alberto Caber, the unit’s spokesperson, told the government-run Philippines News Agency (PNA) that they also recovered a generator set.