Tag Archives: pork barrel scam

Will Phl court reverse its first ruling on DAP?

SHORTLY after the Office of the Solicitor General (OSG) in Manila filed a Motion for Reconsideration in connection with the decision of the Supreme Court (SC) on the Disbursement Acceleration Program (DAP), political observers asked: “Will the Supreme Court reverse its first ruling on DAP?”
In a press statement, Presidential Communications Operations Office Secretary Herminio Coloma, Jr. said the motion contains a comprehensive argument regarding the government’s position on the DAP.
“In seeking reconsideration, the government affirms its respect of the rule of law and its compliance with judicial processes,” Coloma said.
In the motion, Solicitor General Francis Jardeleza asked the SC to reconsider parts of its July 1 decision that declared specific acts and practices under the program unconstitutional.
Through its legal team, led by Solicitor General Jardeleza and retired Supreme Court Justice Vicente Mendoza, the Palace asked the High Court to afford the DAP the presumption of constitutionality and good faith.

Philippine gov’t tells Filipinos: Be vigilant

THE Philippine government on Saturday asked for public vigilance as the country starts its quest for justice in connection with the P10 billion pork barrel scam involving lawmakers.
“Yesterday, we again witnessed another development in the pork barrel case, as Senator Juan Ponce Enrile surrendered to authorities after the Sandiganbayan (graft court) issued a warrant of arrest against him for plunder and graft,” Deputy Presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte said in a statement.

Ex-Phl senator dragged to P10B scam

FORMER senator Ramon Revilla, Sr. on Thursday was dragged to the P10-billion “pork barrel” scam following reports that erstwhile lawmaker was one of the earliest clients of detained businesswoman Janet Lim-Napoles, the alleged brains in the funds anomaly.
Revilla Sr. is the father of incumbent Sen. Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr., who is now facing plunder charges along with two other senators.
Justice Secretary Leila de Lima said they are open to investigate ex-Sen. Ramon Revilla Sr. in connection with the expose made by whistleblower Benhur Luy , the main witness in the alleged “pork barrel” scam.

‘Phl president liable for impeachment’

SENATOR Miriam Defensor-Santiago on Tuesday said Philippine President Benigno Aquino III will become liable for impeachment, on the constitutional ground of bribery, if the Supreme Court rules that the Development Acceleration Program (DAP) is unconstitutional.
Militant groups have asked the high court to declare DAP unconstitutional. The court already declared unconstitutional the controversial “pork barrel” funds.
In a statement, Santiago also said the senator-judges will be obliged to restitute and return to the government the sum of P50 million each; and the sum of P100 million each from Senators Juan Ponce Enrile, Franklin Drilon and Chiz Escudero.
The “bribery issue” hugged the headlines late last year after Sen. Jinggoy Estrada in a privilege speech disclosed that senator-judges were bribed just to convict former chief justice Renato Corona during the impeachment trial.

Aquino ally, 33 others charged with bribery

THE National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) on Friday filed malversation, graft and bribery charges against 34 individuals including former Muntinlupa congressman and now Customs chief Rozzano Rufino Biazon, an ally of Philippine President Benigno Aquino III.

Seven former congressmen were also named respondents for their alleged links to the P10-billion pork barrel scam.

The second batch of cases was filed before the Office of the Ombudsman in connection with the alleged multi-billion peso scam involving the Priority Development Assistance Fund (PDAF) of some lawmakers.